Thursday 1 March 2012

{pattern} Changing Seasons Cowl

It is almost that time of year...somewhere between spring and winter.  Almost too warm to wrap a scarf around your neck twice.  But sometimes too chilly to just let your neck go bare.

With that in mind, I knit this cowl for a good friend as a birthday gift.  Even though we live north of Edmonton and I am sure that there is plenty of winter left (*sad face*...), I wanted to make sure that she could still get some wearing time for her cowl just in case the temperature did stay a little warmer like it has been up here lately.  The Changing Seasons Cowl is just a single loop around the neck, but sits high enough to keep you cozy without being too bulky.

I tried to get my friend to pose for a photo with the cowl on...couldn't convince her (maybe next time, though!), so here it is by itself instead.


carlena's cowl 02
Changing Seasons Cowl
for Carlena


I knit this cowl on straight needles and joined the ends with a seam.  It is just as easy (if not easier) to knit it in the round, but I wanted to be able to figure out the size as I went.  If I knit this again, I will do it in the round since now I know the gauge and measurements that I am happy with.


Changing Seasons Cowl

Yarn Loops & Threads Cozy Wool in Fleece

Needles  Straight needles size US 11

CO 26 stitches
Row 1  [k1, p1] repeat until end of row
Row 2  [p1, k1] repeat until end of row

Repeat rows 1 through 2 until you reach the desired length.  i.e., stop earlier to have it tighter around the neck; keep on repeating rows to let the cowl hang looser.

Bind off.  Sew ends together with mattress stitch.

Wear and be fabulous!






3 comments:

  1. Hey there - I just found your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing the cowl - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, absolutely stunning - and incredibly useful!

    Also, here is a quick note to wish you a very happy birthday! You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that Glen and you are enjoying your first year of marriage!

    I have been thinking of you lots, and hope that we can reconnect again. Been trying to find you, and am overjoyed I stumbled over your blog!! :)

    I'd love to chat with you again. Could you send me your new phone # by email (sunshine6787[at]gmail.com) ?

    Lots of love from Vancouver,

    Sandra

    'Brauner' Mendenhall

    ReplyDelete